SRA Digital Badge launched
The Solicitors regulation Authority (SRA) have announced the launch of their digital badge for solicitor websites. The SRA state that the badge is:
- in response to public demand for better information on the protections from using a regulated law firm, and
- widely requested by many firms,
and forms part of wider reforms designed to help the public make more informed decisions when choosing a legal provider.
Its launch coincides with the coming into effect of new rules requiring law firms to publish information on price, services and their complaints procedures.
The SRA state claim that in a survey conducted earlier in the year amongst those searching for a legal service provider, that:
- 79% felt more comfortable selecting providers that displayed a badge,
- 86% wanted to have access easy access to information on protections, and
- Consumers were 14% more likely to buy services from a firm displaying a badge than an identical firm that did not
The badge will use technology that means it will only display on websites registered to law firms regulated by the SRA. By clicking on the badge, website visitors will be able to access information outlining the protections offered to clients because the firm is regulated., including:
- that the firm meets the SRA’s standards,
- that the firm has appropriate insurance and access to the Compensation Fund, and
- that the firm’s clients can potentially raise complaints with the SRA or the Legal Ombudsman.
While use of the badge is initially voluntary, it will become mandatory for all SRA-regulated firms later in 2019. The badge and click through information will be available in both English and Welsh.
Paul Philp, SRA Chief Executive, said:
“All the evidence shows that people increasingly want to shop around before engaging legal support. They are interested in price, but also want information on quality and protections to be readily available. The more information is available, the more people are able to make good choices.”
Further information about the digital badge can be found at www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/resources/transparency/digital-badge.page