- Lawyers Need to be Online 30 April, 2019- Survey by MMA Digital has revealed that 83% of consumers prefer to deal with law firms online to help keep costs to a minimum
- Growth in “Irish” Solicitors 29 April, 2019- Solicitors in England and Wales are joining the Irish roll in significant numbers with applications for practising rights at their highest level since the UK voted to leave EU.
- Increased Clarity for Scottish Solicitors 20 April, 2019- Changes to Law Society of Scotland Practice Rules will provide Scottish solicitors with greater clarity on what is required of them in terms of interaction with the Society and anti-money laundering compliance.
- SRA Raises Transparency Concerns 7 April, 2019- SRA review raises concerns as to how solicitors offer conveyancing services - including as regards costs and whether they are doing enough to make sure buyers understand any potential contractual obligations.
- SRA to launch new regulations in November 29 March, 2019- SRA announces that their new regulations, claimed to give solicitors greater flexibility in how they work, will come into effect on 25 November 2019
- New Freehold Management Enquiries (FME1) form 25 March, 2019- Conveyancers urged to use the new Freehold Management Enquiries (FME1) form developed in conjunction with the Law Society of England and Wales.
- Firms put on notice for money laundering compliance checks 21 March, 2019- SRA to start carrying out rigorous checks on law firms to make sure they are meeting their anti-money laundering obligations.
- Scottish Solicitors Opt for Law Society Regulation 13 March, 2019- New independent research published this month has revealed that Scottish solicitors want the Law Society of Scotland to continue to regulate them.
- Bar Council Advice on Judicial Bullying 27 February, 2019- Bar Council produces guidance for barristers on the problem of being bullied by judges
- SDLT Payment Times Reduced 24 February, 2019- Time limits for the payment of Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) to reduce to 14 days from 1 March 2019
- Law Society concerned over the LSB’s Handbook decision 18 February, 2019- Law Society concerned about level of scrutiny by LSB of SRA application for changes regulatory arrangements in the ‘Looking to the future’ reform proposals
- Revised Enforcement Strategy from SRA 12 February, 2019- SRA publishes updated Enforcement Strategy explaining when and how it will take action against a law firm or solicitor.
- Law Society of Scotland launches reporting concerns line 3 February, 2019- Concerns about Scottish lawyers involved in financial improprieties or money laundering, can now be anonymously reported to the Law Society of Scotland