- CILEx launches consultation in next stage of reforms 19 April, 2018 - CILEx is conducting a consultation that will determine how it operates into the future.
- Law Society warns of criminal defence lawyer extinction 19 April, 2018 - Law Society warns that criminal defence lawyers in England and Wales could become extinct as it unveiled new data showing a looming crisis in the number of defence solicitors
- Bar Standards Board publishes guide on with vulnerable immigration clients 19 April, 2018 - BSB publishes online guide to assist immigration barristers when they work closely with vulnerable clients which it hopes will help immigration barristers identify, assess and manage vulnerable clients and meet regulatory and other legal duties.
- SRA calls on firms to reduce level of PPI fees 8 April, 2018 - The SRA is re-iterating its call for law firms to consider how much they charge in relation to PPI work in the light of a thematic review on PPI revealing that four out of five firms are routinely charging fees of more than 25%
- LSB gives go-ahead on first stage of solicitor qualification reforms 29 March, 2018 - Employers and education suppliers are being urged to push ahead with their preparations for the introduction of the Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE).
- New approach to improve transparency for clients of the Bar 28 February, 2018 - BSB sets out a revised approach to improve transparency standards for clients of the Bar and meet minimum standards in relation to service and redress.
- CLC aims to be ‘regulator of choice’ by 2022 26 February, 2018 - The CLC sets out its ambition to be the regulator of choice for all property lawyers by 2022 and to focus on its existing strengths - namely property lawyers.
- Redemption Statements Scam 18 February, 2018 - Scottish law firms being targeted by a redemption statement scam when acting in sale or remortgage transactions, the Law Society of Scotland report.
- LSB publishes further research on legal needs of SMEs 16 February, 2018 - LSB publishes third research report focusing on the legal needs of small businesses and looks at how their views have changed. It finds, inter alia, that just 11% of small businesses believe that lawyers provide a cost effective means to resolve legal issues.
- LSB gives approval for the ACCA to start authorising probate activities 30 January, 2018 - LSB grants application of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) to introduce regulatory arrangements for probate activities
- Diversity at the Bar 26 January, 2018 - BSB publishes annual report on Diversity at the Bar which shows an increase both in diversity at the Bar and in relation to the disclosure rates.
- New AML rules lead to mandatory information request 24 January, 2018 - New anti-money-laundering regulations require SRA to obtain comprehensive information from law firms about people working in certain roles.
- SRA issues revised PI Warning Notice 2 January, 2018 - SRA issues revised warning notice amid concerns over handling by solicitors of personal injury work